Monday, April 21, 2008



This is The Greatest Lie by Circa Survive. This is by far my favorite band as of late, because simply put I think their instrumentals in combination with their vocalist is a perfect match, they change time signatures to fit the text of a song and go nuts in concert. Currently they are on tour with Thrice and Pelican, two more very good bands.

For some reason every time I listen to this song I seem to find one more really cool musical moment that's hidden in the layers that make it up. There's so much counterpoint
in this song it's almost hard to believe. if you listened to each part individually or listened to one and stacked the rest you would have what would seem like a very well written drum solo, groovy bass solo, progressive guitar solo, and a voice part that you might think would never mesh together. This is the primary reason why I love this band, they are considered to be what's called a Mathematical Progressive band. Which refers to the counterpoint involved in their music as well as their frequency of meter change. They may be in a simple quadruple meter and then switch to an irregular compound meter for only a few seconds. This can be seen in the chorus of this song in both the drum and guitar parts.

I have been writing music both for voice and guitar with the use of classical theory as well as guitar technique for about 2 years. And I still can't manage to understand how the guitar parts for this band are written. They are so unique that I just can't get enough of them. It's safe to say however that even though I'm a vocal major I don't really care about vocals when It comes to band. In this video the lead singer pushes himself sharp on several occasions. As well as having the voice of what seems like a 13 year old boy. But the passion with which he sings makes all of those things disappear for me. The lyrics to this song also have a very deep personal meaning and relation to my life. But that will be left for another day. Overall I think it's very safe to say that this is an incredibly talented band, thank whatever deity there may be that the record companies haven't taken them with their icy claws.

No comments: