Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Zairynchronized Expirience



I really liked The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka that we took part in on Tuesday. I had done synchronization experiments before, both with Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz and Laturalus with the Nightmare Before Christmas. I enjoyed it then, so being able to do something similar for a class was a pleasure to me. The part that I thought was best about the whole thing is that the experience is completely unique each time it's listened to, and in that regard is like listening to a new song each time. On the contrasting side of that, with the idea that you could sync up the stereos perfectly with the other it would create a sort of surround sound. Which was slightly before its time when the Zaireeka was recorded. I found our particular experience with the Zaireeka to be a definite exaggeration of how much it is supposed to run out of sync but enjoyed it very much nonetheless, if anything I like that we had such an unsynchronized rendition of the Zaireeka because that supports my claim that each experience is completely different. The way that the album unfolded I found to be very exciting because the music had a very familiar flavor alongside a sort of juxtaposition of intentions. Until we did this experiment I had only listened to Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, which I really enjoyed. This however really solidified my taste for the Flaming Lips.

No comments: