Thursday, February 7, 2008

Minus the Bear


Don't get me wrong, This band's lyrics are not why I listen to them. If I want "deep" lyrics I'd listen to Tool or Floyd or something like that.

My favorite thing about this band is they're ability to make me happy in a sort of melancholy way even though that's a complete contradiction it's the only way that I can describe it. As a guitarist it could be the main reason why I love this band the progressions do just the right thing to my brain for some reason. Some music in my opinion is better off not dominating your senses, I think that this song definitely falls into that category. You get to feel the song more than you have to think about the song.

I like this video because of the use of the center mirror split that lets the video play various tricks on your brain.

I've listened to a lot of music. Almost too much as a matter of fact, I continue to eat it up and spit it out. I was given the opportunity to be exposed to this band not long ago and they've stood the test of time where other music has not. This is the first song of theirs that I got to hear and it's still one of my favorite bands. The music that is created by this band feels perfect to me. When I visualize these songs they take shape as moments in my life that are made more beautiful through the eyes of music.

I believe that music is the one thing that everyone can connect with, I've yet to meet someone who was cognizant of sound that doesn't love music. It's a mean to enhance and inspire life in general. Everyone wishes to be an individual and become something special. The expirence that we have with music is sometimes the one thing in life that can make an ordinary person feel like an individual.

1 comment:

Ryan Osberg said...

The band Minus the Bear has appeared on my ipod before and I unfortunately have to say that they did not stay there very long. However upon seeing this video and giving it another listen I could see myself giving it another chance. The background beat provides an uplifting tone while the drums beat on relentlessly in a seemingly slow manner. The vocals seem to drone on like a teacher that really doesn't want to be teacher but he just has to keep throwing information out there. The music definately has substance to it although when it comes to music I would have to hear it several more times before any sort of true or correct feelings would be established. Such is the effect of music upon my mind. Perhaps at this point I find myself changing from uncaring listener to an interested listener. After a few more listens again I will have almost certainly changed once again.