Thursday, February 21, 2008

Cheat Muse Act



I suppose as a student studying music that this is sort of an unfair pick for me to get. I'm really familiar with this whole scheme, there's a grand staff at the beginning fallowed by two clefs, the treble clef and the bass clef, then fallows the time signature fallowed by the key signature the time signature delineates the beat of the song and amount of notes per measure and the key signature corresponds to the pitch that the song is centered on. the various forms of notes are the eighth, quarter, half and whole note the refer to the amount of a 4/4 bar that they consume in time. Each of these notes is then placed on the staff in position of corresponding pitch. Now that I've had my boring talk.

I think music is a form of art and science. There is an exact science as to how to make "good" sounding music, and in that science lies the art from, for once a person understands the science it is used to create what is considered to be art. This I agree with but I feel that art can be many things. It's interesting though that in todays musical world, many bands don't know the first thing about the theory of music, and yet they can make music and in some cases good music. It makes me sad to say but I think in this age we're approaching a time when the ability to read traditional sheet music is becoming less important all the time, It's being lost to computers and most of all tabiture, which I will admit that I have used and still continue to use in order to play the guitar.

I sincerely hope that things can change and the majority of people can change to see the beauty and science that can be found in traditional sense. I still feel that the best music comes from those who know theory.

No comments: